The Grande Prairie and District Oldtimers’ Association
was organized in September 1928, by an enthusiastic meeting of the Pioneers in the Herald Hall in Grande Prairie. The district comprises an area from the Peace River, south to the Wapiti River and from the Alberta/BC boundary, east to Valleyview. To meet the qualifications of a member, a person, and descendants of all such persons, must have settled or resided in the Grande Prairie District prior to March 5, 1916.
The pioneers of this Association came to the area by the Long Trail, from Edmonton through Athabasca or Swan Hills to Grouard, Peace River, Dunvegan and south to the Grande Prairie area, a distance of five hundred miles. In the Fall of 1911, the Edson-Grande Prairie Trail was completed which cut the mileage down to two hundred and fifty miles, but provided steeper hills, and in wet summers, weeks of slogging through the muskegs.